Italy – Italian broadcaster, RAI, concluded the annual San Remo festival which historically chooses Italy’s Eurovision entry. This was the 5th night with all 24 entries presented again. The winner is Mahmood with “Soldi“!
This was tonight’s line-up (not the draw of tonight’s show):
- Achille Lauro – Rolls Royce (1st participation)
- Anna Tatangelo – Le nostre anime di notte (8th participation)
- Arisa – Mi sento bene (5th participation)
- Boombadash – Per un milione (1st participation)
- Daniele Silvestri – Argento vivo (6th participation)
- Einar – Parole nuove (1st participation – San Remo Giovani winner)
- Enrico Nigiotti – Nonno Hollywood (2nd participation)
- Ex-Otago – Solo una canzone (1st participation)
- Francesco Renga – Aspetto che torni (8th participation)
- Shade & Federica Carta – Senza farlo apposta (1st participation for both)
- Ghemon – Rose viola (1st participation)
- Il Volo – Musica che resta (2nd participation)
- Irama – La ragazza con il cuore di latta (2nd participation)
- Loredana Bertè – Cosa ti aspetti da me (11th participation)
- Mahmood – Soldi (2nd participation – San Remo Giovani winner)
- Motta – Dov’è l’Italia (1st participation)
- Negrita – I ragazzi stanno bene (2nd participation)
- Nek – Mi farò trovare pronto (4th participation)
- Nino D’Angelo & Livio Cori – Un’altra luce (6th participation / first participation)
- Paola Turci – L’ultimo ostacolo (11th participation)
- Patty Pravo & Briga – Un po’ come la vita (9th participation / first participation)
- Simone Cristicchi – Abbi cura di me (5th participation)
- Ultimo – I tuoi particolari (2nd participation)
- Zen Circus – L’amore è una dittatura (1st participation)
So there were 22 artists joined by the 2 “young” category winners, Einar and Mahmood. A few new comers join some long-time returnees like Loredana and Paola! A lot of songs are already available online, on the artists’ official youtube page for instance. You can check more information on the artists on Rai’s official site.
There were four nights during the week, with all artists presenting their songs, and the final was this Saturday, to join the fun of a second Super Saturday! Recently, the winner was asked to go to Eurovision and it’s now considered an actual national final, even if it’s a much older contest with its own history separate from the European contest.
After many commercial breaks and many guest artists performing through the night, we got the full results, and many honorary awards. The audience in the theater was definitely shouting Loredana after she was announced only 4th! Other favorite Irama had to settle for 7th. In the end, they took a bit longer to announce the Top 3:
- Mahmood – Soldi
- Ultimo – I tuoi particolari
- Il Volo – Musica che resta
It’s notable that Ultimo announced before the contest that he did not desire to go to Tel Aviv and to Eurovision. Was this taken into account by the jury, who placed Ultimo, who won 47% of televote (to Il Volo’s 39% and Mahmood’s only 14%), only second overall? Il Volo, Eurovision televote winners in 2015, had to settle to third and are not likely to go to the contest again… unless Mahmood backs down! But the juries’ strong support seem to imply that it’s RAI’s pick to the contest, over someone who didn’t want to go and singers who already went.
This is Mahmood’s performance in the first night:
EDIT: he has officially accepted to represent Italy to the Eurovision Song Contest 2019 in Tel Aviv! What do you think of this song? What are its chances in the contest?