ETSC – Every year, the summer is the calm after the storm so it’s the perfect time to resume the highly anticipated the Eurovision Times Song Contest! 42 of you entered for the July 2017 edition and a random draw was made! Discover the songs live tonight at 9 PM CET!Each summer, a good number of regular readers stay around for different reasons (they don’t get breaks from work or don’t go on holidays…) but there aren’t much news to keep us going. So the last few years we introduced all sort of games. The Eurovision Times Awards (Fridas) and the Douze Points Trivia Quiz kept us going in 2013 and Fridas have made come-backs the past four years. Three years ago, a lot of you asked for a fake Eurovision where each one of us would send songs and get to vote. And that was it: the Eurovision Times Song Contest, from then on known as ETSC.
We’ve therefore had 6 editions of ETSC, two in 2014: July 2014 and August 2014, both won by France; the third edition was held in July 2015 and won by the United-Kingdom; the fourth edition was held in Augusut 2015 and was won by Austria; the fifth edition was held in July 2016 and was won by Israel. Last August, the sixth edition was held and won by Denmark’s Blaue Blume with “Sky“. For more information, you can discover our new page dedicated to the contest, with its history, all songs participating and the rankings here. You can also find it by clicking on the “Specials” section of the site, in the top menu in the red box, just under the site’s name. “ETSC 7 – July 2017” will be officially held in Copenhagen and as for venue, it’ll be Koncerthuset!
After a first round open for people to sign up with a country and send a song, we got 42 people in. In the meantime, to keep us busy, I made a random draw. I also made personal postcards for each entry which will be revealed along with the songs. Everyone can request to see their own postcards for now.
Here are a few facts about the 42 entries:
- This is a rather well spread out contest: 27 female vocals / 13 male vocals, plus 2 duets, a domination for female vocals, with 8 male groups and 5 male vocalists only, while there are 6 groups with female vocals, 1 female duet, 20 female vocalists!
- Well just like in the Eurovision Song Contest, English has won us over… but we’re going backwards from ETSC5’s record of 28 songs in English and 21 in ETSC6 with 15 songs this time (including Ireland, United-Kingdom and Malta) that have English in their lyrics (at least partially for 1), 3 songs in serbo-croat, we keep the now tradition of 1 song in French in the edition and the rest is as follows: 3 in Greek, 3 in Russian, 2 in Arabic, 1 in Armenian, 1 in Azerbaijani, 1 in Bulgarian, nish, 1 in Estonian, 1 in Faroese, 1 in Finnish, 1 in Georgian, 1 in German, 1 in Hungarian, 1 in Italian, 1 in Lithuanian, 1 in Polish, 1 in Romansch, 1 in Slovakian, 1 in Spanish and 1 in Turkish (if you’re good in math that’s a total of 43: one song is bilingual!)
- Besides a lot of electro-pop, electronic, darkwave, pop, folk, ethnic, rock and ballads are all present!
- We only have 6 FdlC returnees!
- On the other hand, no artists did Eurovision and only 2 artists did a NF! However, one artist is an ETSC returnee I allowed. A lot of new artists to discover!
Before the show starts, we get the live reprise of the winning song:
Can we beat last years’ editions in comments? ETSC 1 had 1,090 comments and ETSC 2 went all the way to 1,607 comments! We thought we reached our best when ETSC 3 ended at 1,686 comments but ETSC 4 went insane and we had https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLgCuJvprQh4wLuRn1DQ4GaOe0DYMIizSicomments! ETSC 5 “only” reached 1952, so… We’ll see! Now to listen to the songs, you need to click on the postcard. You can also use this playlist (thanks to Donnie):
Rules: the voting will open at midnight Monday 17th CET! You can vote until Wednesday 26th at midnight CET! Results will probably be revealed Friday 28th at 9PM CET! In the meantime, you can do promo for your entry in the comment section here (or not at all). Once you’ve voted, you can not change your votes, so wait until you’re sure. Also, you have to send me your 11th and 12th in case something goes wrong and we sadly have a DQ. Moreover, you need to send me a city, a hall venue and a host for the next edition if you win!
Good luck everyone!