ETSC – Every year, the summer is the calm after the storm so it’s the perfect time to resume the highly anticipated the Eurovision Times Song Contest! 45 of you entered for the August 2016 edition and the voting went on for ten days! The results are coming this weekend!
Each summer, a good number of regular readers stay around for different reasons (they don’t get breaks from work or don’t go on holidays…) but there aren’t much news to keep us going. So the last few years we introduced all sort of games. The Eurovision Times Awards (Fridas) and the Douze Points Trivia Quiz kept us going in 2013 and Fridas have made come-backs the past four years. Two years ago, a lot of you asked for a fake Eurovision where each one of us would send songs and get to vote. And that was it: the Eurovision Times Song Contest, from then on known as ETSC.
After a first round open for people to sign up with a country and send a song, we got 45 people in, with a few of our regulars missing (Cathal, Mermaid, Jade, Hulluna, Stommie) but still newbies joining! Hopefully, they all will make appearances in comments. But also some people who returned from last summer and from FDLC (Mylor, Ren, Daniel…). Songs were revealed ten days ago, using a random draw with my computer. I also made personal postcards for each entry which will be revealed along with the songs. Everyone can still request to see their own postcards in full size. You can click on the picture below to listen to the songs again:
Results will come in shortly. In the meantime, we get to gossip and predict, and discuss songs more openly as nothing more is at stake. And I drop hints!
Here are a the first good news:
- Everyone voted! Four people voted today! So we do have 44 players/voters (which we’ll call HoD for Heads of Delegation) as Portugal, withdrawn, could not indeed vote! Sadly our post for the songs didn’t reach 3,000 comments but, with a big help from the Olympics, its drama, its hotties, we reached a new ET record!
- Some people forgot to add the venue! I had to remind them to send them. That includes both people who did well and some people who didnt. Don’t read too much into that; however, in order to not worry when results come, do remember to do it from now on!
And here are the hints and the gossips! You shouldn’t read them if you want the reveal to be a complete surprise. It’s true also that, while I try not to reveal much, as the reveal starts, and say around 10 votes in, it could be easier to guess the full display with the hints considering the votes already cast. Though there will be some surprises in the last few votes… I will try to say less than usual, unless you want me to, but then it will be in the comment section.
- If we take that there’s 44 of us and that therefore one could have gotten from 43 people max, that means the average is 21.5 people! And at least three entries have reached 22 or more voters!
- This is the closest contest ever, less than 12pts difference, which means we’ll have to wait for the final vote to know the winner! Moreover, it’s also the biggest score the 3rd ever got… and the biggest score the 4th ever got! It’ll keep you guessing all along!
- No song has nul point again! However, just like last time, an entry has only one set of points, but it’s a 12! Will it be last or not?
- 21 different countries got at least one 12pts! Only one song from the top 10 didn’t get a single one! The record this edition is 5 times!
- Out of 44, only 7 did vote for the entire top 3, but four voted for the entire top 4 and two voted for the entire top 5! Also one person did not vote for only 1 song from the entire top 10.
Now time for the prediction game! It was first started in ETSC 4 “hint” article and back then I wrote this: “We can play a guessing game, people wishing to participate can post a “prediction” top 10 and I’ll award points based on the countries that are in the actual top 10 and predicted in yours accorddingly. I wont reveal the results until after the voting and winner is announced, but we’d get an extra side bet to care about ;)” In the end, a good 15 people or so played and Donnie was the winner, though no one predicted Austria to win or France to be runner-up. The prediction game was again open for ETSC 5, which was won by Nick P!
Let’s do it again. Until the reveal night (very likely to be Sunday based on people’s request), you can put a top 10 prediction in order (since most people predict the same 8 or so songs, it would be better to have an order so that thanks to mathematics, we do get someone who was “closer” to the final results). I’ll award points accordingly and announce the winner along with the revealing of ETSC 7 logo! If you feel like revealing predictions on the comment section is too much info, you can do it by email. However, as all votes are in, you dont need to worry affecting votes, just maybe people’s interpretation of your predictions (but we’re all esc fans and know predictions aren’t our own rankings!)