ETSC – Every year, the summer is the calm after the storm so it’s the perfect time to resume the highly anticipated the Eurovision Times Song Contest! 45 of you entered for the August 2016 edition and a random draw was made Sunday! Discover the songs live tonight!
Each summer, a good number of regular readers stay around for different reasons (they don’t get breaks from work or don’t go on holidays…) but there aren’t much news to keep us going. So the last few years we introduced all sort of games. The Eurovision Times Awards (Fridas) and the Douze Points Trivia Quiz kept us going in 2013 and Fridas have made come-backs the past four years. Two years ago, a lot of you asked for a fake Eurovision where each one of us would send songs and get to vote. And that was it: the Eurovision Times Song Contest, from then on known as ETSC.
After a first round open for people to sign up with a country and send a song, we got 45 people in, with a few of our regulars missing (Cathal, Mermaid, Jade, Hulluna, Stommie) but still newbies joining! Hopefully, they all will make appearances in comments. But also some people who returned from last summer and from FDLC (Mylor, Ren, Daniel…). Songs will be revealed Tuesday night. In the meantime, to keep us busy, I made a random draw with my computer. I also made personal postcards for each entry which will be revealed along with the songs. Everyone can still request to see their own postcards in full size.
Here are a few facts about the 45 entries:
- This is a rather well spread out contest: 30 female vocals / 15 male vocals, even though a lot of entries have a male DJ artist “featuring” a singer (no less than 3 times), plus 3 duetts with a DJ and a girl singing! Still, a domination for female vocals, with 6 male groups and 9 male vocalists only, less than a third! Last surprising bit, 2 female duos follow one another in the draw!
- Well just like in the Eurovision Song Contest, English has won us over… but we’re going backwards from ETSC5’s record of 28 songs in English with only 21 this time around (including Ireland, United-Kingdom and Malta) have English in their lyrics (at least partially for 1), 4 songs in serbo-croat (an ETSC record), we keep the now tradition of 1 song in French in the edition and the rest is as follows: 2 in Spanish, 1 in Albanian, 1 in Arabic, 1 in Armenian, 1 in Azerbaijani, 1 in Enochian, 1 in Estonian, 1 in Finnish, 1 in Greek, 1 in Hungarian, 1 in Italian, 1 in Lithuanian, 1 in Norwegian (a first in ETSC!), 1 in Portuguese, 1 in Romanian, 1 in Russian, 1 in Slovakian, 1 in Turkish and 1 in Ukrainian.
- Besides a lot of electro-pop, electronic, darkwave, pop, folk, ethnic, rock and ballads are all present!
- On the other hand, 1 artist did Eurovision and 6 artists did a NF! However, another one won Eurovision somehow, and another one won FDLC!
- And the last twist, one of the artists has a very famous song that has the same title as another artist in this year’s ETSC! Who knew?
Before the show starts, we get the live reprise of the winning song:
Can we beat last year’s editions in comments? ETSC 1 had 1,090 comments and ETSC 2 went all the way to 1,607 comments! We thought we reached our best when ETSC 3 ended at 1,686 comments but ETSC 4 went insane and we hadcomments! ETSC 5 “only” reached 1952, so… We’ll see! Now to listen to the songs, you need to click on the song title. You can see the full postcard when it’s uploaded, stay tune:
|Ester Rada||Life Happens|
|2||Ukraine||Vivienne Mort||Ti Zabuv Pro Mene|
|3||Netherlands||Causes||Teach Me How To Dance With You|
|4||Cyprus||Alexia Vassiliou||Makari Na Me Gnoriza Tote|
|5||Germany||Zedd feat. Kesha||True Colors|
|7||Armenia||Artem Valter||Mut Gisher E|
|8||Spain||Diana Navarro||El Perdon|
|9||Hungary||Csík Zenekar||Szerelmesnek Nehéz Lenni|
|10||Serbia||Nezni Dalibor||U Slojevima|
|11||Macedonia||Jova Radevska feat. Danny Darko||Time Will Tell|
|12||Latvia||Triana Park||Iron Blue|
|13||Tunisia||Nostalgia feat. Kokopeli||Travel|
|15||Ireland||HomeTown||Where I Belong|
|16||France||Cocoon feat. Matthew E. White||Up For Sale|
|17||Italy||Tiziano Ferro||Per Dirti Ciao|
|18||Azerbaijan||DJ Vugarixx feat. Tomris||Payiz Geldi|
|26||Andorra||Martha Roquett||Hasta El Final|
|28||Estonia||Jana Kask||Ood nr. 6|
|29||Belgium||Arsenal feat. Lydmor||Temul (Lie Low)|
|30||Morocco||Hindi Zahra||Beautiful Tango|
|31||Bosnia & Herzegovina||Divanhana||Evo Srcu Mome Radosti|
|33||Finland||Chisu||Tuu Mua Vastaan|
|34||Slovenia||Niet feat. Severa Gjurin||Beli Prah|
|35||Lithuania||Jurga Šeduikytė||Juoduoju Baltuoju|
|36||Iceland||M Band||All Is Love|
|37||Sweden||Naomi Pilgrim||Sink Like A Stone|
|38||Poland||Paulina Lenda||Wolf Girl|
|39||Malta||The New Victorians||Keep Me In Love|
|40||Portugal||A Naifa||Talvez A Injecção Letal (entry withdrawn)|
|42||Croatia||Josipa Lisac||Moja Magica|
|44||Georgia||Katie Melua||Love Is A Silent Thief|
|45||Albania||Alban Skenderaj||Je Ti|
Rules: the voting is now open! You can vote until Friday 19th at midnight CET! Results will probably be on the weekend after that, on a day that suits most people! In the meantime, you can do promo for your entry in the comment section here (or not at all). Once you’ve voted, you can not change your votes, so wait until you’re sure. Also, you have to send me your 11th and 12th in case something goes wrong and we sadly have a DQ. Moreover, you need to send me a city, a hall venue and a host for the next edition if you win!
So start voting now!