ETSC – Every year, the summer is the calm after the storm so it’s the perfect time to resume the highly anticipated the Eurovision Times Song Contest! 45 of you entered for the July 2016 edition and the voting went on for ten days! The results are coming this weekend!
Each summer, a good number of regular readers stay around for different reasons (they don’t get breaks from work or don’t go on holidays…) but there aren’t much news to keep us going. So the last few years we introduced all sort of games. The Eurovision Times Awards (Fridas) and the Douze Points Trivia Quiz kept us going in 2013 and Fridas have made come-backs the past four years. Two years ago, a lot of you asked for a fake Eurovision where each one of us would send songs and get to vote. And that was it: the Eurovision Times Song Contest, from then on known as ETSC.
After a first round open for people to sign up with a country and send a song, we got 45 people in, with a few of our regulars missing (here’s a nod to you Stommie) and a few newbies! Hopefully, they all will make appearances in comments. But also some people who returned from last summer and from FDLC (Sedapsi, Tristian…). Songs were revealed two weeks ago. I made a random draw with my computer. I made a random draw with my computer. I also made personal postcards for each entry which were revealed along with the songs (everyone can still request to see their own postcards in full size).
Results will come in shortly. In the meantime, we get to gossip and predict, and discuss songs more openly as nothing more is at stake. And I drop hints!
Here are a the first good news:
- Everyone voted on time. So we do have 45 players/voters (which we’ll call HoD for Heads of Delegation) and this is our new record! Sadly our post for the songs didn’t reach 2,000 comments and so ETSC 4 remains the hottest one yet (but it had two weeks to vote instead of 10 days like this year!)
- It also means that for the first time since ETSC 1 no one gets disqualified! All votes are therefore a lock. Thanks for everyone who sent their 11th and 12th anyway.
And here are the hints and the gossips! You shouldn’t read them if you want the reveal to be a complete surprise. It’s true also that, while I try not to reveal much, as the reveal starts, and say around 10 votes in, it could be easier to guess the full display with the hints considering the votes already cast. Though there will be some surprises in the last few votes… I will try to say less than usual, unless you want me to, but then it will be in the comment section.
- Only one song this year have MORE than half of the HoDs voting for it! That means at least 23 if not more! However, it won’t be obvious who it is until at least halfway through, and anyway it doesn’t mean it’ll win! Back in ETSC 4, France had the most voters with 21 out of 44 voters and Austria won with only 17! A new record for the runner-up? maybe even for the winner at least pointwise (the record is at 156pts for France in ETSC 2) while it would be harder to beat the record in % as France in ETSC 1 won with everyone voting for it except for 5 HoD.
- The top 2 songs are in the same half.
- The rest of the Top 5 are less than 10 songs apart.
- You rarely do well by surprise: it’s true in Eurovision, it’s true in ETSC. Most HoD in the top 5 have already been in the top 5 before. Most means more than half of them at least.
- I’ve made an earlier mistake when I said every country got votes from at least two people. Sadly, one song got votes from only one HoD… But it’s a 12pts! So this means it could not even be last after all!
- Let’s talk morganese, I hate three songs this time around (please note that this has nothing to do with HoDs, I’m everyone’s fair and loving webmaster): one from a country I love in 21st century Eurovision, one from a country I hate in 21st century Eurovision and one from a country I hate in ETSC.
- More morganese: I adore the winner. I adore the runner-up. I love many songs in the top 5 and top 10. And in general, the results are totally on par with my taste!
- And just for fun: how low will France sink, after being 1st twice and 2nd twice?
Updates: more hints!
- Out of 45, only 6 did not vote for the entire top 3, but four of those did not vote for the top 5 all together! However, only 5 people voted for the entire top 3…
- A record of 8 songs make it pass 100pts and 10 pass the 90pts!
- 25 different countries got at least one 12pts!
- The winner this time got 12pts from at least one person who gave 12 to the winner in ETSC 4 and a person who didn’t give that entry a single point!
Now time for the prediction game! It was first started in ETSC 4 “hint” article and back then I wrote this: “We can play a guessing game, people wishing to participate can post a “prediction” top 10 and I’ll award points based on the countries that are in the actual top 10 and predicted in yours accorddingly. I wont reveal the results until after the voting and winner is announced, but we’d get an extra side bet to care about ;)” In the end, a good 15 people or so played and Donnie was the winner, though no one predicted Austria to win or France to be runner-up. The prediction game is again open! Until the reveal night (very likely to be Friday based on people’s request), you can put a top 10 prediction in order (since most people predict the same 8 or so songs, it would be better to have an order so that thanks to mathematics, we do get someone who was “closer” to the final results). I’ll award points accordingly and announce the winner along with the revealing of ETSC 6 logo! If you feel like revealing predictions on the comment section is too much info, you can do it by email. However, as all votes are in, you dont need to worry affecting votes, just maybe people’s interpretation of your predictions (but we’re all esc fans and know predictions aren’t our own rankings!)
Speaking of logos, I still need information on where the winner wants to host it (city, venue, host), at the very least the city so I can create the next edition’s logo. Only a very few people have told me so far, so please keep telling me where in the comment section so I can work on the logo asap.
ps: Ren, Rosalina, Stommie and anyone else not playing but very missed, are welcomed to predict or share their thoughts too!