ETSC – Every year, the summer is the calm after the storm so it’s the perfect time to resume the highly anticipated the Eurovision Times Song Contest! 45 of you entered for the August 2015 edition and the voting went on for two weeks! The results are coming this weekend!
Each summer, a good number of regular readers stay around for different reasons (they don’t get breaks from work or don’t go on holidays…) but there aren’t much news to keep us going. So the last few years we introduced all sort of games. The Eurovision Times Awards (Fridas) and the Douze Points Trivia Quiz kept us going in 2013 and Fridas have made come-backs the past two years. Last year, a lot of you asked for a fake Eurovision where each one of us would send songs and get to vote. And that was it: the Eurovision Times Song Contest, from then on known as ETSC.
After a first round open for people to sign up with a country and send a song, we got 45 people in, most everyone returned (a special nod to you Mario) with some newbies again, like Daniel, Razvan, Martin or Jasmin! Hopefully, they’ll stick around. But also some people who returned from last summer (Sedapsi, William, Mylor). And a few of our new regulars joined (Bay, Cyphermusic, Ren…). Results will come in shortly, but I do have official announcements to make. In the meantime, we get to gossip and predict, and discuss songs more openly as nothing more is at stake. And I drop hints!
Here are a the news, please read carefully:
- Two people voted Friday night, passed the deadline. I could have disqualified them or allowed them in. I decided to allow them in because it’s a game and not a serious competition, we’re all friends and agreeing that personal lives can be complicated and since votes were in for me to do scoreboards, why not. On an ethical level, one of them did very well and disqualifying it made me uneasy.
- On the other hand, one of the few people that came in late emailed me that he or she had personal problem and did not wish to vote. You’ll see who it is in the voting. That entry will be disqualified… Luckily, we had to use someone’s 11th only once because only one person had voted for that song… but it was that person’s 12pts! :o
- Ok so while we’re on that subject, everyone knows I had to be away for personal problems this week and scoreboards aren’t totally finnished yet. I will try to A. sleep and B. make the last ones in time for tonight’s show. But be aware it could be late (10PM CET is what I aim at and I wont start later than that). In case I can’t make it at all (lucky for me the past few days I did all my uni work so I don’t have that to take care of), do people mind results Sunday afternoon? I’m here all day. If some people prefer Sunday afternoon, tell me so, we can adapt to the majority as usual!
And here are the hints and the gossips!
- The winner is quite special this time around. While it’s got a very comfortable lead over the runer-up, it’s gotten only the 4th (tied 4th even) most vote of the competition with 17 votes… but won the record of six 12pts!
- The runner-up has gotten the most voters in its favour with no less than 21 people voting for it! It even appeard 4 more times in people’s alternative 11th and 12th! The songs ranked 3rd and 5th come next with 18, last but not least, the winner and song ranked 4th both got votes from 17 people!
- Just like last edition, all songs in the Top 5 break the 100pts!
- The “douze points” is very spread, and besides the winner with its record, only 1 other song gets it four times, however that song is just outside the top 5! On the other hand, a lot of songs got it three times but one of them… is only 18th! However, the runenr-up only got it… once!
- In order to compare with previous editions, France won ETSC 1 with 155 points out of 28 players, so a record of 47.8% of the maxium it could have gotten (27 times 12pts) ; France won ETSC 2 with 156 points out of 37 players leading to a score of 36.1% ; the Uk got a score of 146 points out of 41 players, so a score 30.4% (not counting the DQ). The winner this time got 29.3% so on par with the usual winners!
- Only 6 people gave points to all songs in the Top 3 (including them if needed)… but a great record of 4 people gave points to the entire Top 4… more impressive, 1 person gave points to the entire Top 5 and gave them all 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8pts!
- In the Top 10 we have countries “considered” from the North, the West, the Balkans, the South.
- There are exactly 10 points between the song ranked 8th and the song ranked 15th!
- There are still no nil-pointers in ETSC! (Putting aside the song that got DQ and that would have gotten only one 12pts… but is now officially at 0) Sadly, 2 songs got points from only one person, and 2 more got points from only two people and!
- …a more crazy gossip, to get you wild: technically speaking, there are as many noobs from this edition in the Top 5 as there are people who’ve been in all ETSC editions!
- And just for fun: will France get its worst placing ever this time around? :o