Melodifestivalen 2014 – The Swedish national broadcaster, SVT, yesterday announced the new rules for the 2014 national selection, Melodifestivalen. They have introduced positive discrimination by requiring that at least 20% of the selected entries are to be written by female composers/lyricists either alone or with male colleagues. Maria Ilstedt, project manager for the Eurovision Song Contest, said,
“The Eurovision Song Contest should reflect the industry’s width. Therefore, we take an active approach to highlight female composers.”
This affirmative action quota only applies to the Regular contest.
The following rules will apply:
- 32 entries will be competing in 2014 Melodifestivalen, half selected by a panel and half by the festival producers. The panel makes their selection from the submissions for the Regular contest or Public contest as outlined below.
- The selection panel chooses up to 15 entries from amongst the submissions to the Regular contest for which both lyrics and music must have been written by at least one composer/songwriter who has already had a musical work published. Please note that entrants must state the ISRC code of previously published works when uploading their submission to the Regular contest. Entries are to be submitted by uploading a sound file to svt.se between 3 and 18 September, 2013.
- The selection panel also selects at least one entry from the submissions to the Public contest which only accepts songs by composer(s)/songwriter(s) who have NOT already had a musical work published. Entries are to be submitted by uploading a sound file to svt.se between 3 and 18 September, 2013.
- SVT advise that they would like a little more information than previously, which means it will take a few minutes longer to upload songs this year. They advise not to wait until the last minute.
- The remaining 16 entries comprise special invitations made by SVT or entries that SVT has selected from amongst the submissions. This group of contestants includes the winning artist (though with a different song) from the “Svensktoppen Nästa 2013” contest, who is guaranteed a place in the next year’s Melodifesitval.
- Songs can be uploaded to svt.se/melodifestivalen from 9.00 am on 3 September to 08.59 am on 18 September.