Worst Eurovision Winners Ever – Hundreds of people have voted for their personal Top 5 of the Worst Eurovision winners ever. The 5th place of each voter got one point, the 4th place 2 points and so on, the first place thus getting 5 points. The result is a ranking of all 60 Eurovision winners. In the coming days we will reveal the Top 15 of your voting. Today we continue with a monstrous Finnish victory after almost 40 years of failures.
After 40 unsuccessful attempts to claim the Eurovision crown and even 8 last place finishes, Finland finally won the Eurovision Song Contest 2006. The performance and song that won could not have been more spectacular and at the same time more controversial. Heavy metal band Lordi performed their “Hard Rock Hallelujah” in monster costumes and with lots of pyrotechnics. The lead singer Mr. Lordi wore a hat in the Finnish colors and at one point during the performance, bat-like wings unfurled at his back. The 292 points were the highest score ever at the time and the song became a hit in several European countries. Back at home, they were greeted by the Finnish president and 80.000 enthusiastic fans in Helsinki.
Here is their winning performance:
- WEWE #9: Bucks Fizz – Making Your Mind Up
- WEWE #10: Sandra Kim – J’aime la Vie
- WEWE #11: Helena Paparizou – My Number One
- WEWE #12: Dana International – Diva
- WEWE #13: André Claveau – Dors, Mon Amour
- WEWE #14: Toto Cutugno – Insieme (1992)
- WEWE #15: Ruslana – Wild Dances
- Ireland: Former Irish Winners Announce Eurovision Tour